Documenting the progress of a (nearly) free 1980 Kawasaki KZ440 into a budget bobber.

Pages

davidjohndesign On Friday, June 4, 2010

I really didn't do anything - I came in at 6 and Jake had already welded up solid everything I tacked up, and then some. I neglected to get photos of his awesome welds because we ended up having a few visitors, including the previous owner of the bike. I test fit that 130 link chain which the guy that sold to me said would never fit....it fit. We're actually going to need to remove some links; a relief after thinking I was going to have to use some links from the very tired 30 year old chain.

The only photo I got was Chad testing out the rider position on the bike. Some have suggested ape hangers and forward controls, others like it the way it is - I'm a fan of the way it sits. After sitting on the bike myself I realized now that having a "springer soft tail" will be a little weird, but I'm also fine with it. A quick glance to the right of this page will make anyone go "oh ok, yeah thats fine"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can find a rim that fits in the front forks, and I suspect you can, you can get yourself some disc brakes. Also, given how much of an overhaul you're doing, you might even be able to put in a different triple tree entirely.

davidjohndesign said...

I did want to get a disc brake setup, but I found out that for a complete disc front end (used of course), I was looking at about $225. Because the mounting points on the fork are different I can't use the originals. IT very well May be worth it, but I want to see if that drum setup will work first. Thanks!

Post a Comment