Documenting the progress of a (nearly) free 1980 Kawasaki KZ440 into a budget bobber.

Pages

davidjohndesign On Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Well I spent a lot of time working on this thing and not a lot of time taking pictures or posting. Mostly because I will be closing on my house tomorrow, so I was in screech mode. Got the bike all back together and running last night, and now I will spend the rest of the summer trying to tune these damn carbs for pod filters and an exhaust (or lack thereof). It is probably running way too lean, and will only idle on it's own for a few minutes then dies out. If anyone has any helpful hints on the constant vacuum carbs on a kz440, I would love the advice. I know I will plan welding on some sort of baffle in the exhaust, and then re-jetting them but I am not certain how big to go on each the primaries and secondaries. Anyways, here are some pictures I snapped this morning!



















1 comment:

Unknown said...

I forgot these old kawi's had CV Carbs...
My opinion - bottom line, don't even worry about the exhaust. It's not going to do anything and it looks fine, so unless you want baffles or such just focus on the carbs. The downside: Without a stock airbox or some semblance of one on these guys, it's just not going to run right. It's near impossible to tune without the box - they just don't like it.
Check the carb diaphragms - make sure there aren't any holes. The main jet is almost definitely going to need to go bigger.
There's little passages around the outer lip of each carb - see if the pod filters are blocking any of them. If they are, adjust the filters and see if it helps.
I heard some guys wrapping cheap-o foam sponges around the pod filters to help with varying success. Although for the most part it works, you just have to then tune it, but it creates a better mix. Use rubber bands or zip ties, and spray a little K&N filter oil or something similar.
You could do some leg work and get creative and find some alternative carb setups. The amount of time and effort you're going to put into trying to get the CV carbs running and no guarantee it'll ever run that way without the airbox... it may be worth your while to find something else.
There's a guy on the kzrider forum who converted his 440 dual CV carb setup to a single larger mikuni from a Kfx400 ATV. Tuned it and it runs great - and no need for the airbox.
http://kzrider.com/images/fbfiles/images/05-9d66eb7a287a2b97f6b4d3331107cdf7.jpg
Get it running right by next season so I've got another riding buddy when I move back home. Good luck!

Post a Comment